How Do You Care for Someone with Autism?
Most people with Autism receive care from family members or others close to them. While an Autism Specialist is engaged in training and ongoing education, many family members need assistance in learning how to care for someone with Autism.\
These tips can help you offer the best family Autism Care:
- Concentrate on empowering them rather than doing things for them.
- Educate yourself and practice empathy to understand their needs
- Be prepared to adapt your care as their needs change
- Tailor your care to their unique set of conditions if they have more than one disability
- Help them with self-care when needed, but give them space to do it on their own whenever possible
- Keep records of their reactions to the products they use
- Ask them to speak slowly and use fewer words if they are having trouble communicating
- Protect them from all forms of abuse
- Take care of yourself, too, so you will have the strength and stability to continue helping them
- Work with an Autism Support Coordinator to ensure they get all the services they need